Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Heat and more heat

Lately the weather is the most significant thing happening in my world. It is hot and dry. I have a tendency to bring plants home and then find it almost impossible to dig the holes to plant them in. So far I've not lost anything, but there's a crape myrtle I think may not make it.

I didn't have any luck at all with my vegetables. All of the tomatoes, cucumbers and squash died. I'm thinking it's where they're planted. When I moved into the house there was a raised bed with mint and thyme in it. So my natural tendency was to clear a lot of it out and have veggies. Well, this bed is bordered with railroad ties and I'm thinking the creosolt (sp?) leached out into the soil and killed everything. The only thing thriving is rosemary, thyme, marjoram, oregano, garlic chives and mint. Sounds very Mediterranean doesn't it? There is a six-pack of okra that I bought in March and just sat out in the bed. They are doing quite well, put root down through the plastic and are growing their little heads off!

Saturday is my 61st birthday! Will have dinner with my sister, Mother and Bert in Woodville at the Seinyard late Saturday afternoon. Love the food there and will bring home left overs enough to last the rest of the weekend. Am having dinner with a friend from high school tonight and next Sunday the 3rd will be going to a cocktail party my friend Leah Jane is having. I don't really understand it, but I'd rather just stay home!

I've been on the job eight and a half months...surprise, surprise, surprise!

Need to get ready to go to work. Later.

2 comments:

prentice said...

Creosote.

By the way, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

We're getting a little rain here every few days. It constantly looks like we're going to get a shower, but they're few and far between. Love you

bamajane said...

Thanks for both the spelling and wht wishes! love you! M