Saturday, January 28, 2012

Spring in January

Everybody's talking about it, but there's nothing we can do about it...the weather!  We are having spring-like weather here in North Florida in January!  Azaleas are blooming as are the Japanese magnolias and they are at least 2 months early!  March is notoriously a nasty month in this area and February speaks for it's self!  I'm not so worried about the blooms being killed back with our next hard freeze, but I'm a bit worried about the plants themselves!  Actually it is rather pretty having these blooms to offset the grey, barren winter landscape!

I voted this past Wednesday.  I got a sticker and I'm thinking that's probably the best thing I'll get from this election.  I'm not crazy about any of the candidates and I just having to choose from among them, but I feel an obligation to vote.  This is a right women, not so long ago, fought to win and I think every woman (actually, everyone!) needs to exercise this right to vote!

Yesterday I hosted bridge here.  We were to meet here at 9:30am, but my sister over slept and was 1/2 an hour late.  So we didn't break up until almost 3pm!  I made a breakfast casserole, fruit and savory monkey bread...it turned out quite nicely!  A friend of mine made us a key lime pie for dessert and it was wonderful!  So we ate, played bridge and visited for hours and had a great time!

Shirley's doing very well!  She's seizure-free so far (still meds 2x a day), but she has really become a chow hound!  I've actually seen her bully Jazzy away from her breakfast bowl several times and try to eat it herself.  The only thing that stopped her was removing the bowl and giving it to Jazzy later.  There's no telling how many times I missed her doing that!  Her hips are another matter.  They go out at least once a day, but often several time a day.  I'm sure her weight doesn't help with the hips.  At least my hips are okay, but if this weight keeps piling on they might start going out!

No comments: