Saturday, June 17, 2006

Watermelon Festival Day

The "kick off" for the Watermelon Festival began 2 weeks ago. The finale is today and tonight. I'm meeting my sister in front of the bank at 7:30 this morning for a "country breakfast". Should be lots of folks we know there and it should be tasty also! Don't know if we'll stay for the parade or not.

When I got in to work Wednesday morning I still hadn't seen an electrician. I had called 3 of them. Well, when I told HWB that I really needed help getting an electrician out to the house he picked up his cell phone made one call and less than an hour later I met an electrician here. It turns out that the breaker box wasn't as bad as Progress Energy had thought. He did have to go into the insides of it, two of the switches were frozen, one in the off position and the other looked like it was on, but was stuck sorta half way. Then, bless his heart, when I got off work he sent one of his men to replace several bulbs that had blown (they were way too high for me to reach). The surge that happened when the lines came down blew my big tv in the living room. Boy, I scrimped and saved for a long time to buy that last year. Had built in DVD & VHS players and I really liked it. Oh well.

Thursday dawned clear and pretty. The Watermelon Festival luncheon and fashion show was at noon at the Opera House. Met LJ and her neighbor, Norma there. We sat at a table for ten with seven really cute young women. It was great fun and the food (chicken salad and bunches of different fruits) was very good...too much to finish for everyone at our table...we looked around, however, and many folks were sitting at "clean plate tables"! All three of us won a door prize! Norma won a battery operated tv, LJ won a pewter candle holder and I won a huge golf umbrella! Who'd imagine we'd all win! Two of the girls at our table also won! What fun!

After the luncheon LJ and I went to Thomasville to Walmart. Her 20 year old microwave bit the dust Wednesday night and I needed a tv. I took all of the money I'd stashed away for a fence. I'll get one, just don't know how. I got a 20" flat screen tv (really looks good and wonderful picture) and a small dvd player. I felt a little embarrassed counting out all $1's and $5's to pay for them, but it was real money! Came home with 12 dollars.

Cashed my paycheck after work yesterday and started my fence stash again.

2 comments:

prentice said...

wow! seems like you've had quite the adventure with the power thing! when are you going to come down for a visit? maybe for the next storm you can come down and watch it with us! love you

prentice

bamajane said...

I really think that 28 miles inland is close enough for me to watch a tropical thingy come in! Would love to see you...soon I hope I'll be able to swing down for a day. Love you! M